Restarting your computer periodically
Restarting your computer periodically is a good idea, especially if it’s a computer that is left on much of the time. In Windows 7, you can easily schedule an after hours reboot by following these steps:
- Press Start, and in the search box type “Task Scheduler.” Atop your list of choices will be the Task Scheduler. Click it.
- Click the Action menu and then select Create Basic task.
- Choose a name for the task (like AutoReboot), type it in the Name box and click Next.
- Select Daily (if you want a daily reboot) and click Next
- Type the time you want to restart the computer, set recurrence to your liking, and click Next.
- Select Start a program and click Next.
- Click Browse and navigate to %SystemRoot%\System32 (that’s going to be C:\Windows\System32 for most people). Find the file named Shutdown (.exe) and click Open. Type /F /R in the Add arguments (optional) box and click Next.
- Click Finish.
Now your computer will automatically restart at the date, time, and frequency you specified.
If you’re going to have a scheduled task like this in place, make sure to develop the habit of closing documents and programs when you’re done using them, so the reboot won’t close them for you and cause you to lose unsaved work.